What do you do when you’re craving quiche but you don’t have any pie crust or flour in the house? Screw it, make a crust out of potatoes!
This was an on the fly recipe for sure but it turned out so well that I thought I should share.
Vegan Winter Vegetable Quiche w/ Potato Crust
- 2-3 potatoes, sliced about 1/3 cm thick (the amount of potatoes you will need really depends on the size/shape of the spud and the size/depth of your pan. I used 2.5 potatoes)
- 1/2 cup vegan bacon bits (I used maple bacon flavoured tempeh, I pan fried it first)
- 1/2 large white onion, sliced & sautéed
- 3/4 cup sautéed mushrooms
- 3/4 cup roasted butternut squash, diced (I used frozen cubes and thawed them in a pan first)
- 1 cup chopped kale, sautéed
- 5 Follow Your Heart Vegan Eggs, prepared as per packaging
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Cashew Cheese Sauce (mine is essentially this recipe) *optional but delicious
Preheat your oven to 400F.
Line your pan with the potato slices, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Par-bake it for about 15 minutes.
Remove crust from oven and sprinkle in the ‘bacon’ and veggie fillings. In another bowl, mix the vegan egg, almond milk and nutritional yeast. Season with salt & pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the fillings.
Bake your quiche for about 30 minutes or until the vegan egg is set. Let it stand for 5-10 minutes after removing from the oven before slicing. Slice & top with cashew cheese sauce, and enjoy!
Let me know in the comments below if you try this, and what your favourite quiche fillings are! Happy brunching ❤