Grocery shopping across the border is a Vancouver tradition! But it can be daunting, when there are so many products you might have never seen before. I hopped down to Bellingham this weekend, here are my Hits & Skips for Vegan items at Trader Joe’s!
- Soy Chorizo: this is hands down, the best vegan chorizo out there. Other brands don’t seem to be able to match the spices or the texture, but TJ’s has nailed it. PLUS it’s only $2.29 USD. Buy 2. Trust me. I’ve used it in tacos, quesadillas, chili, the possibilities are endless.
- Meatless Meatballs: quite similar to Yves meatballs, but a larger bag for the same price as in our grocery stores in Canada. Super tasty, and easy to keep in the freezer for weeknight dinners.
- Nutritional Yeast: nothing special here but it’s so cheap at TJ’s, $2.99 USD for a 4 oz which cost me $8 at Choices in South Surrey.
- Spices! All of their spices at $1.99 USD and they have some really cool combos. I picked up Everything Bagel, Chili Lime and Smoked Paprika.
- The Grab & Go Section: this is a life saver for road trips. They have tons of salads, and usually 3-4 vegan wrap/sandwich options, and all priced less than $5 USD. I’ve had the falafel tahini wrap and the spicy lentil wrap in the past, and they were both delicious.
- Frozen Veggie Burgers: specifically the Thai Chili & the Masala spiced ones. They are not bad, but not great either. Largely potato and pea based, they just don’t have much to them. They’re pretty small, kind of greasy, and not very filling.
- Vegan Pad Thai (Individual frozen entree): I’m not sure what I was expecting, but this one is pretty disappointing. The noodles all stick together when you heat it up, and the sauce is watery & bland. I suppose I was just excited for a vegan microwave dinner!
- Horseradish Hummus: I’m all about hummus, and I’m all about horseradish, but for some reason, they just don’t work here. That said, the Tomato Basil Hummus is AMAZING!
- VEGETARIAN ITALIAN SAUSAGES: THEY HAVE EGG IN THEM! This is my fault, not TJ’s. They don’t have the word vegan on the packaging at all, but I was dumb and just grabbed them, since they were right next to the chorizo. Be warned!